Saturday, November 13, 2004

This is Home, This is Mean Street

Had a conversation with Mangey today about an evil rapist that was on the loose in AZ, and the conversation turned to how we make sure we are aware of our surroundings, and how important it is to do this when we women are by ourselves.

Case in point: the other week I was coming back to the parking garage in San Francisco, and was paying my ticket at the little pay station before going back to my car. As I was paying, out of the corner of my eye I noticed someone "hovering" a little to close for my liking. I turned around and there was this middle aged kinda weirdo looking guy staring at me. He wasn't in line, he was just staring...Ok whatever freak I was thinking. So I start walking over to the elevator, (figures I am parked on the 9th floor) I push the button for the elevator, when all of a sudden here comes freakazoidweirdo still acting weird. Now, I am thinking he paid for his parking ticket a little to fast to be at the elevator with me already. So I turn around and glare at him. And he just kinda does his weirdo stare back at me. And we are the only two at this elevator. Ok, I am getting the not good feeling vibe starting. So, I turn around and walk away as there is another set of elevators on the other side of the parking lot, and if said freakazoid weirdo is thinking of being weird at me or to me, he is going to have to come catch me. I am not easy prey fuck head. So needless to say, he realized I was on to his freakazoidweirdo thing and didn't follow me.

So to all of my home girls out there when you are by yourself, be careful and aware of those freakazoidweirdos out there. Don't put yourself into a situation you don't really want to be in. I could have taken my chances and gotten into the elevator with FZW, and he could have been harmless, but ya know, I don't want to find out if he isn't...and walking out of my way to the other set of elevators is a lot easier than having to kick someone's ass in an elevator that I wasn't in the mood to do.

It also really sucks that men don't have this having to be "aware" vibe. As when I went to see Marilyn Manson the other week with Satan and our friend Chris, we are walking down Market Street in SF, and I am doing my usual it is Market Street so I am going to walk fast so if anyone is going to mess with me, your gonna have to catch me walk, and Satan and Chris are both wondering why I am walking so fast. So I tell them that this is my normal "city" walk. They were like, well you don't have to walk that fast now, you are with us. But it totally sucks that us as women feel that we have to be on guard from weirdos, creeps, and freaks at all times.

So just be careful out there on those mean streets sistas!

6 comments:

Kata said...

Right on sister! We chicks need to be not afraid to kick some ass when need be and totally trust the "gut instinct" when it kicks in. That's what it's there for,not to ignore and give the person the benenfit of the doubt. Who cares if the guy just liked to stare and wasn't going to do anything? He doesn't have the right to make you feel uncomfortable. He deserves whatever ass kicking he gets in the future for making any other women feel uncomfortable. Grr...

DementedPhotographer said...

It's not just you gals. I've been messed with too many times to be haphazard about my surroundings. When I'm parked in a public garage, I always have my keys out, the pointed edges sticking out between my fingers, just in case someone decides I'm an easy target. When leaving a shoot, I often have my hands full of very expensive equipment and that inevitably draws out every wierdo and panhandler within a five mile radius. There are very sharp points on the end of my tripod, though, and I'm not afraid to use 'em. ;)

-G

bunny said...

I'm working on a post related to this about "gut feelings", or pattern recognition. Apparently a big part of that instinctive gut feeling has to do with our brains subconsciously reacting to stimuli that we've had in the past. It's a lot more complex that what I understand and I'm no psychologist, but suffice to say after reading about this, I am so going with my gut from now on. I've been more guided by logic and rational thought in the past and will put more stock in instinct. God only knows when that post will be finished.

Pisser said...

StoOpid Freakazoid Weird Head!!!

I think a lot of it is the drugs.
Nobody really messes with me. Will have to post picture of typical facial expression - maybe it will help.

Although I think a lot of it is that I am not a small person...still, I get crap once in a while. Cranky and I were both hit up by the same "I'm looking for a AAA" scammer last week - only we can't figure out what his scam was. And I thought he was hitting on me ;p

Anonymous said...

When I spent a lot of time in SF I carried pepper spray did the key trick and carried a knife on me at all times. I'm highly paranoid about FZWs and not afraid to injure just because I'm unnerved. Hell, I live in the sticks and I'm still like that. There are just to many creepo's out there.
-Wickkett-

Anonymous said...

I worked in my college library and got reprimanded by the library dean for being too friendly to the inmates that were also employed there. He told me there were "convicted rapists" working there and not to give them the "wrong idea." Hello. Convicted rapists working in my college library, refinishing furniture. I should have just transferred.